Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful to be a Friend of God


Marveling today at Jesus' words to those seated around Him at the table on the night of His betrayal..."As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because servants do not know their master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything I have learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other." John 15:9-17

As I ponder this passage, I marvel at v. 15..."I no longer call you servants...instead I have called you friends!" We often call ourselves children of God and members of the Family of God...but as everyone knows we don't get to choose our relatives [or family]. We do, however, get to choose our friends! In fact, we are often judged by the "friendships we keep." And despite all our many failings, Jesus still chooses us and calls us His friends. Wow! And then He showed us "the full measure of His love" in that while we were yet sinners, He died for us. There is no greater love and no greater example of what it means to "be a friend" than that. So while I am thankful this day to be Jesus younger brother and a son of God, I am most thankful that Jesus cared for and loved me enough to count me as His friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment