Sunday, October 3, 2010

Corollary to Integrity, Part 2

In 403 A.D. John Chrysostom was brought before the Eastern Roman Emperor Arcadius whose wife, Aelia Eudoxia, was offended by Chrysostom's teachings against extravagance in feminine dress [this entire situation seems strikingly similar to King Herod in the days of Christ with a wife, Herodias, who wielded undue influence and which ultimately cost John the Baptist his head] and was demanded to renounce his Christian faith. If he remained a Christian he would be banished.

Chrysostom replied, "You can not banish me for this world is my Father's house."

The Emperor replied, "But I will slay you."

Chrysostom then said, "No, you can not, for my life is hid with Christ in God."

The Emperor then threatened, "I will take away your treasures."

But Chrysostom answered, "No, but you can not for my treasure is in heaven and my heart is there as well."

Enraged the Emperor declared, "But I will drive you away from man and you shall have no friend left."

Finally Chrysostom replied, "No, you can not, for I have a friend in heaven from who you can not separate me. I defy you, for there is nothing you can do to hurt me."

An amazing response from a man who truly was "a foreigner and a stranger on this earth ... looking for a city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God" [Hebrews 11:10, 13]. This leader of Christ's church had a long history of both faithfulness and persecution. He had previously been banished from Antioch in 397 A.D. by Emperor Theodosius 1 which ultimately brought him to Constantinople where he served as bishop. Ultimately he ruffled the feathers of both Eudoxia and a priest named Theophilus there which led to the above confrontation and resulted in his banishment to Caucasus [Armenia]. Nevertheless, he continued to write letters that were read throughout the churches in Constantinople and continued to carry great influence there, and as a result, he was further banished to Pitiunt [Georgia] in 407 A.D. He never made it to Pitiunt as he died in transit, his last words being "Glory to God for all things." I think we can all learn a lot from his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment